Drum Roll PLEASE!….Bourbon Apple Sticky Rolls!
There are a LOT of sticky roll recipe options to choose from online, and most of them feature caramel, pecans, or other old-fashioned sticky buns ingredients. And while I adore all of these choices, this recipe is one of my absolute favorites because it’s a unique twist on classic bourbon cinnamon rolls and is also the perfect decadent treat that screams fall.
Drum Roll, PLEASE…. Bourbon Apple Sticky Rolls!
Now, imagine a soft pillowy cloud of sweet dough wrapped around gooey cinnamon brown sugar filling, polished off with a touch of bourbon and crips fall apple flavors. Have you ever read so many glorious words consecutively? Well, me neither!
It’s truly what foodie dreams are made of, and you’ll send every other recipe packing along with Cinnabon!
Plus, these come together in a pinch and can easily be made ahead of time to wow a crowd.
And if you’re a fan of fruity chocolate desserts, you should also check out the recipe for these White Chocolate Raspberry Swirl Brownies.
Now, let’s get down to baking!
Here’s How to Make It:
To Make the Dough:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, add instant yeast, warm milk, warm heavy cream, melted butter, egg + yolk, and brown sugar.
- Gently whisk together until combined.
- Add flour, and salt and beat until fully incorporated and the dough forms, about 4- 5 minutes.
- Now, the dough should pull away from the sides but is still soft and tacky. This gives you the perfect ooey, gooey texture for your rolls!
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to double in size, about 1 hour.
To Make the Filling:
- In a small bowl, combine softened butter, sugar, and cinnamon. Set aside
To Make the Bourbon Apple Sauce:
- Into a medium-sized saucepan, add the diced apple, lemon juice + zest, maple syrup, cinnamon, bourbon, and butter.
- On medium-low heat, allow the mixture to thicken for 8 minutes. The sauce should thicken slightly and turn a deep caramel color, and the apples should be soft.
- Pour into the bottom of a 9×13 and set aside.
How To Assemble Rolls:
- Dust the counter lightly with flour. This helps keep the dough from getting stuck to your counter! Pour the dough out onto the surface and dust the top of the dough with more flour.
- Gently, roll the dough into a large rectangle about 22 inches by 15 inches.
- Spread the filling evenly throughout the dough, making sure that every piece will be evenly filled to perfection.
- Roll the dough lengthwise in a log; you want to be sure that it is as tight as possible. Pinch off the end to seal the log.
- With a very sharp knife (or with dental floss), evenly cut the log into 12 even rolls about 2” in thickness.
- TIP: If you want your slices to be extra precise, measure them before your start cutting.
- Nestle the rolls pinwheel side up in the baking dish with the Bourbon Apple Sticky Topping at the bottom and allow doubling in size, about 30 minutes.
- Brush the tops of your cinnamon rolls with extra heavy cream before baking. You’ll have to trust me on this one; it makes it huge difference in the texture of your buns!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the rolls for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and puffed.
- Allow them to cool slightly before serving.
Tips From a Sticky Roll Master:
- Buy Quality Ingredients: The key to perfect rolls is quality butter and splurging on Honeycrisp apples. Trust me, don’t cut corners with quality.
- Heat Together: For the dough, warm your milk, heavy cream, and butter together. Warming them all together will speed up your process and reduce using extra bowls. I like to add everything into one dish and heat it in 30-second intervals in the microwave until the temperature reaches about 110F and is very warm to the touch.
- Save Time: Use instant yeast. This recipe specifically called for Rapid Rise / Instant yeast to allow fewer steps to form the dough. By using Instant yeast, you are able to save time and simplify the dough-making process. Since the instant yeast does not need to be proofed in water, just dump it right in with the wet ingredients – but be sure the wet ingredients do not exceed 115F as it will kill your yeast, and your dough will not rise.
- Multitask: Prepare the bourbon apple topping while you are waiting for your dough to rise. It will be perfectly cooled and ready to nestle your rolls around the same time you are ready to bake.
- Choose Bold Bourbon: I used Brown Sugar Bourbon for this recipe, and it truly sent these flavors over the moon! But if you’re a bourbon expert, you can always experiment with trying different flavors for your rolls.
- Add The Cream: Don’t forget to add heavy cream on top of your rolls before baking. Drizzling heavy cream on top will create a perfect golden-brown roll, as well as drip down into the sticky topping and create a lovely caramel apple flavor!
How To Store Extra Rolls:
These rolls are best to be served warm and fresh; there is no denying the power of a freshly baked sticky roll! But, if you have any left over, place them in a smaller container and wrap them tightly with plastic, and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
To reheat- place your sticky roll on a microwave-safe dish with a damp paper towel over the top and microwave at 30-second intervals until warmed through; the damp paper towel will help keep the moisture in while reheating. Then, you can enjoy freshly made bourbon apple sticky rolls anytime you have a craving!