Nothing says springtime like sitting on your front porch and sipping a cool glass of refreshing tea in the sunshine. So, if you’re ready to take your drink-making skills to the next level, this recipe was made just for you! It’s one of my all-time favorites, not only because it’s absolutely delicious, but it makes for the perfect picture-worthy beverage.
This drink is so charming in its appearance as well as in flavor, mainly because the layered teas and vanilla sweet cream create a stunning appearance. Plus, for those who love lavender, it gives you the perfect amount of flavor without being overwhelming.
This recipe is sponsored by Lorann Oils, but all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Almonds and Apricots possible!
Enjoy 20% off your next online purchase of LorAnn Oils with my coupon code KALA20!
Now, you might be wondering…
Does a London fog have lavender usually?
Traditionally, a London fog is a hot tea drink mixed with warm steamed milk with vanilla syrup. It is classically served warm and made with Earl Grey tea. This drink originated in Vancouver, Canada, in the 1990s by a lady named Mary Loria. For decades, this drink has been a go-to for tea parties, springtime gatherings, and more.
My recipe is loosely based on a classic London fog drink with a few fresh takes and a fun presentation. This version is a London fog with lavender syrup or lavender oil and a dash of vanilla bean sweet cream; this drink takes on a colorful appearance and ultra-delicious flavor that you just have to taste for yourself!
Lavender London Fog with Vanilla Bean Sweet Cream
Ready to start sipping? Let’s make it together!
How To Make Lavender London Fog with Vanilla Bean Sweet Cream
- Earl Grey Tea- Personally, I use Taylor’s brand, but any earl grey tea would work here. Just be sure that when you brew your tea, it is extra concentrated, about double what you would normally use to allow the flavor to shine through the milk and cream and keep your drink from becoming watered down.
- Sugar- I use white sugar for this recipe, but you can use a blend of white and brown sugar to make the simple syrup. Whatever you have on hand will work just fine!
- Lavender Oil- LorAnn’s Lavender Oil is top-tier food-grade lavender that is safe to use in this recipe. Note: Be VERY careful when selecting lavender oil for this recipe, as not all oils are food-grade. This recipe only calls for up to 3 drops of lavender oil because this is a highly concentrated item. Please use this with caution and read any disclaimers on your lavender oil very carefully.
- Vanilla Bean Paste- I use LorAnn’s Vanilla Bean Paste here, as it is my go-to brand! LorAnn’s Vanilla Bean Paste is something so special and has quickly become a pantry staple in my house. I use it in various forms of baking, whipped cream, buttercream, and Sunday pancakes; you name it. There isn’t a job that this delicious paste cannot handle! Anywhere you would normally add a splash of vanilla, consider using Lorann’s Vanilla Bean Paste! It will give your drink a more noticeable vanilla flavor.
- Milk – I have made this drink using various different kinds of milk, but my favorite must be oat milk, mostly for the nutty flavor that it adds to this drink, but any milk will work here! This also makes it a great beverage to use for parties where guests might have a sensitivity.
- Heavy Cream- This recipe calls for heavy cream to be able to make the sweet cream for the top of this drink. If you are making this recipe vegan, you could certainly use coconut cream instead!
- Purple food Coloring- I used LorAnn’s brand of food coloring, and it added a beautiful purple hue which perfectly accented this drink! This is completely optional, but I love adding a dab of purple food coloring to the simple syrup to add that extra WOW factor that this drink has with all of its delicious layers. Not to mention, this will also make your latte even more picture-worthy if you want to show it off to your followers.
- Jars – Any jars with a lid will do; you will need three of them to store each component in as it cools and for any extended fridge storage. I like to use mason jars, which can also double as a cute glass to serve your drinks from.
London Fog Recipe Lavender & Vanilla Bean Sweet Cream:
- Make Simple Syrup – In a small saucepan, lightly simmer the sugar and water until the sugar is completely dissolved for about 6 minutes. Bring the pan off the heat and carefully drop 2-3 drops of lavender oil (more if needed) and stir to combine. Add purple food coloring and pour it into a glass jar.
- TIP: Don’t use plastic jars for this part! The syrup will be too warm. Instead, use a glass container or mason jar.
- Brew The Earl Grey Tea- In the same pot, bring 3 cups of water and 6 Earl Grey tea bags to a boil. Turn down the heat and steep for 8 minutes. Strain and pour into a separate glass jar.
- Make The Vanilla Bean Sweet Cream- Add heavy cream, milk, simple syrup, and vanilla bean paste to a mason jar fitted with a lid and shake very well for 1 to 2 minutes. The ingredients should combine and become a thick sweet cream. For an added foamy texture, use a hand frothier and froth until foamy. This allows you to customize your foam to your preference!
- Assemble- At this point; you should have three separate mason jars filled with each component. Add 2-3 TBS of lavender syrup to taste a fresh glass. Layer ice on top. Next, pour 1 cup of tea. Add a splash of oat milk to fill about ¾ of the glass. Top the glass with the Vanilla bean Sweet Cream and add a sprig of dried lavender for garnish. Now, you have a stunning drink to enjoy!
My favorite part of this recipe is that it leaves you with three jars of each component to be able to assemble this drink at any time at your convenience. I love being able to whip up this drink in the morning and watch the spring rain or serve guests you might stop by during the day. Either way, this London fog lavender is guaranteed to become one of your favorite drinks this season!
And if you want something sweet to enjoy with it? Check out my Chocolate Carrot Layer Cake with Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream for a unique taste as well!